Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Running over 60 and with a broken wing!

I have not blogged again in a few months.   I think about it a lot and then I just don't blog.  If I were better at expressing myself, it would be much easier.

I have run two half marathons since my last posting and I also broke my wrist!  Out running early one morning in August, it was really dark, I tripped over absolutely nothing!  In fact, I fell twice that morning.  The first time I just brushed myself off and started running again, the second time I wasn't quite that fortunate.  As I was going down , I am thinking to myself  "okay this is my second fall this morning, I am going to call it quits"  Trying to stop myself, I, Of course, put my hands out, landed on my hands, scraped up a knee, nothing really unusual for a runner, right?  As I was walking home, I kind of figured I may have done something a little more serious this time.  Arrived home, my husband was still sleeping, woke him up and told him that I was going to walk over to the ER as I thought I may have done something to my wrist ( we live a few blocks from the hospital).  As luck would have it 6:00 a.m. must be a good time to go the ER as no one was ahead of me..  x-rays taken, and sure enough I had broken the wrist.  They just wrapped it well and told me to call an orthopedic doctor when I got home.  This was a Thursday, so I called and they wanted to see me right away, husband drove me, Dr. looked at x-ray and wrist and suggested surgery!  I was quite surprised by this, figured they would put on a cast and I would be on my way.  Had surgery the next day, put in a plate to hold everything together.  A week later I go back and they remove wrapping and just give me a brace, no cast at all.  First question I ask is if I can still run....the Dr. kind of shrugs and says " I guess, as long as you aren't doing a marathon or something"....I didn't say "No, not a marathon, just a half"  So, I started walking at first, at a very brisk pace and when that didn't seem to bother me I started running again, albeit very cautiously!  I am still timid about running in the dark.  My training certainly did take a hit, but I had already registered for 2 half marathons in September and I wanted to give it a try.

Run Woodstock Half marathon in Hell, Mi.  Sept. 5

My friend lives in Detroit and has been after me to try a trail.  I have never run on trails and having just broken my wrist I was a little apprehensive, but she assured me that we would go really slow and I would be fine.  I am so glad that I did it!  What an experience, I absolutely loved it!  It stormed like crazy the night before and we were afraid that the trail may be really slippery with mud, but for some unknown reason the course seemed to not have as much rain as we had thought.  The first few miles were rail trail, so it wasn't paved really, but it wasn't trail either.  I didn't feel too good at first, had trouble breathing right and getting a rhythm, but started to get into it.  After a few miles we veered off into the woods and this is where the fun began!   It was beautiful.....so quiet and peaceful.  My friend ran ahead and warned me of roots and rocks that I may trip over.  Running the trail is so different.  I just didn't care how fast I was going or how many miles I had run.  There were trees to be jumped or climbed over, hills to ascend, mud that wanted to suck my shoes off and so serene and quiet and breathtaking at times.  At one point we were in this forest of pines, it felt like I were in a cathedral, pine needles muffling are steps, sun filtering through, it was breathtaking!  At one point I question my friend on whether we would be going back out on the trail, when she said No, I was so happy, I could have stayed in there for a long time.  We were starting to hear music and voices, so knew it was coming to an end.  I think this is the first time that I was not begging for the finish line.  It was amazing.  It did take a long time, 4 hours, but that was what my friend had predicted, because of my wrist, and never having had run trails before, there was a lot of walking going on.  You know, even with the 4 hours time I was not last in my age group!  I would say , it was almost a life-altering experience and I am sold on trails!  Now all I have to do is find trails!


This is me....love this pic!


Mighty Niagara Half  Marathon , Lewiston, N.Y.  Sept. 20

A few weeks later I am on the half marathon trail again, only this time it isn't a trail, darn!  I ran this half last year also and it poured rain the entire time.  This time it was a beautiful day.  I really didn't go into this half with any expectations because I just have not been training as I should.  Partly because of my fear of running in the dark still and I am definitely a morning runner and part laziness.  This is a really nice race, very flat and beautiful scenery again.  The half follows the Niagara River below the Falls.  Beautiful , huge homes, the leaves were just beginning to turn.  Ran through a couple small , quaint towns and I was feeling okay, not great, but okay.  Ran very slowly and used a walk/run.... I felt pretty good though, up until mile 10 and my foot started to cramp and then the calves again!  Just like my Cedar Point Half!  As soon as I would start to run I could feel the calves starting to cramp up, so I just walked the last 3 miles.  I came as close as I ever have to DNF, but I talked myself out of it and just kept going, but I was disappointed.  I don't know what to do about these calves.  Now, the trail race did not bother me at all, probably because we walked so much, not sure.  It was still fun, but feeling a bit discouraged.

Okay, I am doing another Half this coming weekend in Columbus Oh.  Yes, I am a glutton for punishment!  Just hoping the calf problem doesn't rear it's ugly head this time.  Just not sure what I am doing or not doing that I am being plagued by this, so it makes it hard to predict.

Wish me luck!

Okay, I feel like an idiot!  Just realized that I had already posted a RR about my trail run.  The memory is the first to go, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment