Friday, March 1, 2013

Hurrah!!!   I ran 4 miles this morning and I felt great!  First time in a long time that I had a good run.  I am so relieved.  I was beginning to think that I had lost it.  It was cold and a little breezy, but streets were dry.  Almost didn't go out, was feeling really lazy and the thought of going out in the cold for another lousy run, just did not appeal to me at all, but out I went, and I am so glad that I did.  Now I have to make up my mind whether or not to run the Cleveland Half in May.  I had a terrible experience there last year.  It was a beautiful day in May, but unusually warm for Cleveland.  In fact we had an unusally warm March last year, but then it turned cold in April and May...anyway, the day of the Half was sunny and hot even.  I felt pretty good for the first 5 or 6 miles, but by mile 9 I almost gave it up and boarded "the bus"..having never, ever not finished a race, I just couldn't make myself do it, so I kept plugging alone.  I remember thinking to myself that it was so hot and I wasn't sweating and thought that was odd.  There was a lot of walking, but I did run over the finish line with a terrible time of over 3 hours.  Saw my husband waiting for me, got some water and walked around some, feeling fine....all of sudden I started to feel very sick to my stomach and sat down on the curb, feeling worse and worse, I finally asked my husband to walk to the medical tent and get someone...while he was gone I threw up (luckily it was mostly water) and feeling very shaky.  My husband finally arrived with someone and they walked me over to the medical tent, took my BP, which was very low, and I have HBP normally....then the leg cramps started, from the tip of my toes to my waist, both legs simultaneously, I didn't know where to grab, it was the way the tent was full, I was not the only one who experienced problems that day...finally, the doctor asked my husband to hold my legs so they could get an IV in me....almost immediately I got relief.  In a few minutes, I was able to drink some chocolate milk and felt so much better.  They wouldn't let me go until I could get up and walk around the tent twice, did that, and I was done.  I have never had this happen to me before, I don't know if it was because it was so hot that day and I hadn't really run in the heat that year because Northern Ohio does not normally get heat like that in the Spring.  All I know is that I hope it never happens again!  Watch, this year it will probably be snowing!  That is entirely possible also!

Oh what the heck???  I will probably sign up for it again.  It would be nice to see the course, I felt so bad last year I didn't take in the scenery much, I was too miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment